How to Gain More Customers through Google
No Time for SEO
When thinking about SEO (search engine optimization), many small businesses tend to underestimate its importance. Their focus lies mainly on daily tasks and operations aimed at keeping the business afloat. It may seem that there is no time for web performance development and maintenance, however, it is important to think about how you can increase brand awareness and website traffic as a new business. The right tool for achieving these two goals has three letters: SEO.
New businesses need to make sure that their web presence is strong in order to ensure a healthy business growth. This post will show 2 crucial considerations for an effective SEO marketing strategy for small businesses: keyword research and on-page optimization.
How Google Works
Before we dive into some digital marketing tactics, it’s important to know the background of how search engines rank sites. First of all, the main goal of search engines is to ensure that searchers find what they are looking for. Whatever searchers type in the search bar, Google analyzes which websites match with the search query and if they provide relevant content. The era of stuffing websites with keywords is definitely over. It’s about content quality and what your keywords really mean. Always keep in mind that Google’s algorithms change approximately 400-500 times per year. So even if you might think that you have a perfectly optimized website and you finished the task – it’s not. You need to adapt and react consistently to new changes.
Climb the Ranking Ladder
Now, let’s start with some of the best SEO techniques for new businesses.
Using relevant ‘keywords’ throughout your website is the key for successful web performance.
Before you start optimizing your website with random keywords, you need to do some thorough research:
- Define keyword objectives: clarify what do you want to achieve with the keyword. You should define one or two keywords for each page to narrow it down
- Research current keyword and demand trends: think about what your potential customers might look for and what they expect to find. Google has a helpful tool finding out current keywords trends
It’s important to find words that fit your brand image and that fulfill your business promise. For example, just using keywords as “free walking tours” if the offer isn’t free, doesn’t make sense. By using the right keywords, you already start targeting your ideal audience
- Analyze competitor’s performance: do website audits, use Google’s search bar and see which pages rank organically high for related keywords and queries. Look at which keywords your competitors are using
Brainstorm words: especially new businesses should include long tail keywords as they are more specific and can ensure a higher organic ranking. Long tail keywords include 3 or more keywords within a sentence. Short and broad keywords are highly competitive. Another benefit of long tail keywords is that they’re considered to convert better. Find inspiration for long tail keywords on Answer the Public. Searchers using more specific keywords might already be on an advanced purchase funnel step. Find the best keyword combinations on Google’s Keyword Planner tool and on Moz’s Keyword Explorer.
Optimizing your website is a big project that takes time. In the long-run however, it helps improving your organic ranking. Here are some insights that you need to consider:
- URL: have precise and clear URL’s. Adapt automatically generated URLs to clearly defined URLs that include your keywords
- Page titles and subtitles: those play an important role in Google’s ranking algorithms, you should make sure that you include your researched keywords in these tags
- Responsive design: the website’s design has to be responsive for different devices, especially mobile. Mobile use has been growing significantly. Google ranks websites higher if their usability on mobile devices is working
- Content quality: write content including your defined keywords and their synonyms. Enhance content with consistent, relevant storytelling. Content needs to be interesting, educational, fresh and needs to be updated regularly. A good way of how to generate new content is blogging. Blog posts can be shared on social media platforms and in return, they generate website traffic and increase returning visitors
- Increase trustworthiness: ensure that your site is considered authentic. Link other relevant external websites to your website and vice versa. For example, link all your social media platforms to your website. Social media platforms have a strong web presence and are accounted as authoritative websites
- Technology: the web page needs to work properly and the site speed needs to be quick – make sure that loading times is as fast as possible. No one likes to wait…
- Create a good user experience: this factor does not influence organic ranking as much, but it’s worth considering it. A low bounce rate shows that users are genuinely interested in your website and proves that the content is truly relevant. Use multimedia features as pictures or videos to keep users’ interest high. Make sure navigation is clear and easy
Let’s Talk About SEO
You have no time thinking about organic ranking tactics? Keeping up with consistent changes is not easy, it’s time intensive and requires lots of research. Do you prefer staying focused on your core business strategies? No problem, we can make sure your web performance runs smoothly. Let’s brainstorm together and find the best SEO strategies for your business.